The family of Charles Wombwell and Susannah Reed
John Wombwell had married Honor King on 10.12.1795 in Langley. Their son Charles was
born in 1811, also in Langley. He married Susannah Reed on 28th September 1833 in Arkesden
and they settled there to bring up their family before emigrating to Australia.
I have established the early years of this family group from registers and censuses in
Essex, but I am indebted to a page I found on the web giving further information on those
who emigrated to Australia in 1851. The address for this page is:
Those who emigrated would appear to be the whole family with three exceptions:
- Mary Ann - the eldest child - stayed in Essex and married Thomas Dyer on 5th June 1854 at Arkesden
- Honnor(Harriet) was born in 1838 and died three months later
- James was born in 1842 and died in 1843 aged 13 months.
The spelling of the surname is variable dependent on the register entries, which I
have copied in each case! There are occasional discrepancies between the information I have
and that collected on the other side of the world. Each case is noted and details are at
Charles Wombwell (360) (1812(*1)-1860)
m 1833 Susannah Reed (361) (1817(*2)-1904)
|-Mary Ann Wombwell (375) (1834- )
| m 1854 Thomas Dyer (472) (1830-)
|-Joseph Wormwell (377) (1836(*3)-9.2.1918 )
| m 1869 Betty Ann Coulson (496) (1845-1896)
|-William Wormwell (376) (1837-11.5.1897)
| m Penelope Clark (801) (1847-1940)
|-Honnor Wombwell(*4) (464) (1838-1838)
|-Ulaliah Wombwell(*5) (362) (12.5.1839-19.11.1912)
| m William Dolman (802) (1817-)
|-Abijah Wombwell (363) (1840(*7)-8.5.1907)
| m Emily Sarah Harris (803)
|-James Wombwell (465) (1842-1843)
|-Harriet Wombwell(*8) (466) (1844- )
|-Phillis Wombwell (364) (1846(*9)-6.1927)
| m Thomas Noble (804)
|-Emma Wombwell (365) (1849(*10)-12.10.1928)
I have no early information on the three children born after this
|-James Wombwell (539) (1851-26.3.1925)
| m 1873 Lydia Radford Thurlbrom (805) (-1919)
|-David Wombwell (540) (1853-23.4.1902)
|-Amos Wombwell (541) (1857-14.9.1900)
- (1)Charles' year of birth calculated from census returns, the Australian page says 1811
- (2)Susannah's year of birth calculated from census returns, the Australian page says 1819
- (3)Joseph was christened on 5.6.1836. Most of his siblings were christened within weeks of being born, so I believe he was born in 1836 and not, as the other page suggests, in 1835.
- (4)"Honnor" was christened on 1.7.1838 and "Helen" was buried on 16.9.1838 aged 3 months. I believe this was the same person as I can find no other references to either of them!
- (5)Ulaliah is spelt ULEYEAR in the Australian page, but she was christened on 9.6.1839 as EULYLAI. The vicar queries the name in the register and wonders whether ULAI (a river mentioned in 8 Daniel 2) is meant! The spelling I have used is that given to census enumerators (or invented by them) in 1841 and 1851.
- (6)Mayar - listed on the Australian page as "died before 1852" - I can only assume that this is a refence to the Honnor/Helen in note 2.
- (7)Abijah was christened on 16.8.1840 so he could not have been born in 1841 as the Australian page alleges.
- (8)Harriet was christened at Arkesden in 1844. The Australian page alleges that she died before 1852, this could well have been the case but I can find no evidence for this (yet)!
- (9)Phillis could have been born in 1845 or 1846. The only evidence I have for her is an 1851 census entry, aged 5.
- (10)Emma could have been born in 1848 or 1849. The only evidence I have for her is an 1851 census entry, aged 2.
As mentioned earlier, my thanks are due to Daryl Povey, the publisher of the Ballarat genealogy page, and also to John Tilbury and Angela Phillips, who both directed me to that site.
Return to the list of Wombwells
If you have found any errors, or if you can provide me with further information, I will be pleased to hear from you. Either way you can contact me on Email email@example.com
This page last updated on 11th November 2007
All pages crafted with HTMLEdit on a RISC PC - a Microsoft-free zone.